66 West Apartments is 39 apartments of supportive housing for southwest suburban youth and young adults who have experienced homelessness. Simpson Housing Services is the on-site service provider. Residents began moving in May 2017 with a formal Grand Opening taking place August 3, 2017. Here's how you can help right now.
Deep appreciation to funders who have brought us to construction.
- City of Edina
- Minnesota Housing Finance Agency
- Minnesota Equity Fund (in partnership with Cinnaire)
- Metropolitan Council
- Hennepin County
- Hennepin County Housing and Redevelopment Authority
- Federal Home Loan Bank of Des Moines (Bremer Bank is the sponsor)
- Family Housing Fund
- Twin Cities Community Land Bank
- Western Bank
- Greater Metropolitan Housing Corporation
- Local Initiatives Support Corporation
Grand Opening Celebration
In the News:
- KSTP, Homeless Youth Apartment Building to Break Ground in Edina, July 18, 2016, by Joe Mazan
- Star Tribune, Oct. 22, 2015, Edina housing for homeless youths lands $8.3 million in funding by John Reinan
- Edina Sun Current, May 14, 2015, Edina City Council pledges $550,000 in TIF for 66 West, by Paul Groessel
- Star Tribune, May 8, 2015, Edina youth housing project gets more than $1 million in local funding, by John Reinan
- Watch this excellent 2-min video summary of the project by Edina Channel 16.
- Star Tribune, Oct. 24, 2014, Edina housing project for homeless youths won’t go forward this year, by John Reinan
- Read a Star Tribune commentary by the Rev. Erik Strand, pastor of Edina Community Lutheran Church, Beacon's lead congregational partner in 66 West.
- Edina Sun Current, Sept. 8, 2014, Suburban homeless housing to become a reality, by Lisa Kaczke
- Star Tribune, Sept. 6, 2014, Tevlin: For a change, NIMBYs didn’t win
- Star Tribune, Sept. 3, 2014, Edina OKs housing project for homeless teens, by John Reinan
- KSTP, Sept. 3, 2014, Edina City Council Approves Controversial Homeless Housing Project, reported by Beth McDonough
- WCCO, Sept. 3, 2014, Apartments to help homeless youth Approved in Edina
- MPR, Sept. 3, 2014, Edina OKs housing project for homeless youth, by Jon Collins
- Bring Me the News, Sept. 3, 2014, Edina City Council approves housing complex for homeless youth, by Melissa Turtinen
- Storify: Edina Planning Commission Approves 66 West
More background information:
Our lead congregational partner is Edina Community Lutheran Church, with strong support from Church of St. Patrick, Edina; Church of St. Stephen's, Edina; Richfield United Methodist Church; and Lutheran Church of Christ the Redeemer, Minneapolis. Local service providers estimate there are between 200 and 300 youth who are homeless or at risk in the southwestern suburbs and there is little or no supportive housing in the area. Click to download and print our FAQ sheet. Download a brochure here.
Actions you can take now to support this housing:
- Donate. Become a Beacon supporter and help fund the annual cost to provide supportive services to youth.
- Share information. Invite 5 people in your network to attend a tour of Nicollet Square.
- Host a presentation. We will come to your congregation or civic organization to talk about suburban youth homelessness.
- Advocate. Take one monthly action as a “Beacon Citizen” to urge public funding for affordable housing such as this development.
- All of the above! If you’re all in, let’s talk more about how you can help lead this effort.