Happy New Year! As promised, our list of what we wish for (and will work for) in 2015:
1. More diversity in our collaborative – congregations, staff and volunteers. We can’t talk the talk and not walk the walk. Call Deb Rodgers, 651-789-6260 x 218 if your congregation is moved to get involved in ending homelessness.
2. 38 more Angel Donors to commit $10,000 a year for five years to build 66 West – we already have one Angel Donor who has made this generous pledge. That is 39 donors for 39 apartments for youth and young adults who are experiencing homelessness in the southwestern Hennepin County suburbs. Laura Vitelli, 651-789-6260 x210, can tell you more about this opportunity to invest in the lives of youth.
3. A program center for FMF-SW in Scott County or Carver County. Shepherd of the Lake Lutheran Church has generously donated space on their campus for our current Prior Lake program center but this arrangement is not long-term. Have ideas? Contact Sue Laliberte.
4. 15 new partner congregations in our collaborative, toward our goal of 100 congregations.
5. A full schedule of Families Moving Forward hosting congregations (see nos. 1 and 4) to provide safe overnight shelter 365 days a year for families experiencing homelessness. Please contact Laura Vitelli if your congregation is interested in hosting.
6. Break ground on Prior Crossing. Our youth housing in Saint Paul is fully funded – now we need to build it so people can move into their new homes!
7. More landlords who will rent their safe, affordable housing to our FMF shelter guests. (Call Mai Choua Yang at 612-529-2185 x10 or Sakinah Mujahid at 952-230-2930 if you have housing to rent to families.)
8. Private contributions to help us raise the $2 million it will take to operate our programs in 2015. Our work is possible only because of the many individuals, congregations, and corporate and private foundations who invest in ending homelessness. Private contributions leverage public investment, expanding the impact of your gifts. You can quickly donate online or call Sarah Mollet at 651-789-6260 x208 to talk about a gift – whether a sustaining pledge, a matching gift from your employer, a gift of stock or estate giving.
9. 3,000 Beacon Citizens to speak to, write to and visit their elected officials, asking support for housing policies and funding that will provide homes for those most in need. We make it easy to join this effort – and we promise your work is noticed by those with decision making power! Will you join us this year?